COBRA Continuation Coverage Eligibility
As an active employee, you have the right to purchase Continuation Coverage from the Fund, when coverage would otherwise terminate due to a "qualifying event" (see Eligibility, Notification, Coverage Length section below on this page):
- Your retirement, resignation, termination (other than gross misconduct); or
- Your hours are reduced to less than the minimum required for eligibility.
Your dependents (spouse and/or children) have the right to purchase Continuation Coverage if:
- Your employment terminates other than due to gross misconduct (for example, you quit, are laid off or retire); or
- Your hours are reduced to less than the minimum required for eligibility; or
- You die while participating in the Plan; or
- You or your ex-spouse remarries within 36 months of your divorce; providing the ex-spouse was eligible on the date of remarriage; or
- Your dependent child ceases to qualify as dependent child defined under the Fund.
You, your spouse or your dependent children must notify the Fund in the event of a divorce, remarriage or change in dependent status. The Fund must receive this notification within 60 days of the date on which coverage would terminate as a result of the qualifying event.
Once you retire, you will receive a notice that you are eligible to elect COBRA Continuation Coverage at a monthly premium cost and for a period of 18 months.
When your COBRA coverage as a retiree ends, you will then be eligible to continue your dental and vision coverage under the Fund's Annual Retiree Buy-In Coverage, at an annual premium rate. You can continue the Annual Retiree Buy-In Coverage as long as you wish, indefinitely.
Click for more information: Retiree COBRA Continuation Coverage
Some qualifying events can make you or your dependent eligible for COBRA. These qualifying events may be the same as a special enrollment period qualifying event that lets you change your coverage status.
|Qualifying Events that make you/your dependents eligible for COBRA||When to notify the Fund Office||Who is eligible||Length of COBRA coverage|
|You terminate employment (you quit, are laid off or retire) or your hours are reduced||Within 30 days||You and your dependents||18 months|
|You die||Within 30 days||Your dependents||36 months|
|You and your spouse divorce or legally separate||Within 60 days||You and your dependents||36 months|
|Your dependent child no longer meets the eligibility requirements (e.g., turns age 25)||Within 60 days||Your dependent children only||36 months|
Learn how to enroll in COBRA if you or your dependent is eligible.